Sustainability through mixed use
The Blend was a hit even before construction began. It is a candidate for the International Building Exhibition in Vienna and a flagship project of the WieNeu+ urban renewal program that aims to ready the city’s districts for the future and for climate change—improving our quality of life now and for future generations. Our project is also dual certified: DGNB Gold and klimaaktiv bronze.
Facts & Figures
- Budget: EUR 24 million
- Net floor space: ca. 5,600 m² and 1,200 m² of outdoor space
- Use: Residential, offices, clinics, kindergarten, dining, event areas, common areas
- Groundbreaking: Q3/2022
- Planned completion: 2024
all in one building
Once an old garage in the middle of an inner-city nieghborhood, ripe for demolition, the building site now offers an opportunity for densification through the construction of a new, mixed-use building characterized by social and ecological sustainability in equal measure.
The planning has been awarded the DGNB pre-certification in gold and the klimaaktiv bronze certification based on its diverse use concept, environmentally friendly construction, and its implementation of a sophisticated and innovative energy system. It also has a comprehensive greening concept for the building’s façade, roof, inner courtyard, and forecourt that enhances cooling in the summer months and promotes biodiversity. Social interaction in the building is encouraged by numerous common areas on the roof and inner courtyard, as well as inside. The (semi) public areas of the ground-floor restaurant and adjoining event rooms mean that the neighborhood is also included.
By rezoning the area, this fully connected building plot can experience a much-needed new use without any additional sealing of our precious soil resources. The advantages of the building’s mixed use are clear: Short distances and diverse synergies are created for people who live and work there. At the same time, the consistent use of the building throughout the day prevents lopsided peaks of use, positively impacting the building’s overall energy consumption.
- “The Blend is a prime example of an innovative project that makes the neighborhood a better place to live. Not only are new, modern living spaces being built, the project is also an upgrade for residents that stimulates the entire neighborhood—for example with the vibrant ground floor zone that has a cozy restaurant, space for offices, a childcare facility, and new healthcare practices.”Marcus Franz Tenth District Alderman, Vienna Favoriten
- “The Blend is an exciting and innovative flagship project in one of Vienna’s historic Gründerzeit neighborhoods.”Kathrin Gaál Deputy Mayor of the City of Vienna
- “The growth at this site near the new main train station is an exciting mix of innovative apartments, communal open spaces, and well-planned infrastructure that enhances the community.”Christian Hursky Vienna City Council
- “Old building stock is often converted in a way that results in residential situations with little connection to the surrounding environment. The Blend, however, fully achieves the goal of preventing displacement.”Kurt Hofstetter Lead Coordinator, IBA_Vienna 2022
- “We purchased the property, which will have both the ÖGNI Gold and the Klimaaktiv certifications, for a special fund based on strict sustainability criteria.”Louis Obrowsky Managing Director of LLB Immo KAG
- “We are not just building residential space, we are creating an entire environment where living, working, and leisure time can flow together harmoniously. This forward-looking concept gives us an indication of what modern neighborhood development will look like in the future.”Franz Pöltl Managing Director, EHL Investment Consulting